7.03.2006

Last night in hot, humid New York City

The nerves begin to make my body their home as the time of departure draws nearer. This is my last night in New York, but it really doesn't feel like it at all! A dinner of yummy foods (that I'm not going to have at my fingertips for over a year - what?!)... chips and salsa (of course), watermelon, burgers.... a failed attempt to see The Devil Wears Prada because the show was sold out.... a last check of the email... the attempt to call family members who have better things to do than be home on the 3rd of July (if you're one of them, I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye in person! I tried!).

This is the last day of sticky hot, at least on this side of the earth. Yet, the heat is rising on the opposite side of the globe in other manners. I made the mistake of reading the news today, and I am all too aware that North Korea has threatened retaliation against any pre-emptive strike by the US. Do I trust Bush enough to heed that threat and refrain from making that pre-emptive strike? Well... look at the track record and then ask me again. So, there's this definite air of fear regaring the political state of the world right now. I am going despite this. There's also this creeping fear that I will be met at the airport by some psycho, be captured, and have all my posessions taken from me. I realize this is letting my imagination run a little too wild, but still!

I'm sure everything will be fine in the next few days. I'm sure everything will be fine... I'm sure everything will be fine.... I'll just keep saying that over and over to myself.

I can't belive it's 10:45pm. The past few days have been moving at a sluggish pace, and all of a sudden time seems to have begun the final sprint to the finish. I'm going to do one last check around the apartment, and then get some sleep before my long journey! I hope to post again sometime over the weekend.

No comments: