7.11.2006

Flight attendants take a seat.... ANY seat!!!

So, the journey was off to a bumpy start. Not the worst turbulence I've ever encountered, but pretty rough. I sat in my seat with a beverage cart teetering beside me, carrafes of coffee ready to scald my arm at any moment. Luckily, once we got past Toronto, the ride was smooth. I love how the fact that the Earth is round makes planes fly what seems like a roundabout way to actually go the shortest distance. We flew over northern Canada and across the great state of Alaska (the only state I have yet to visit... now I can say I've flown over it, at least).

The flight actually wasn't too bad. My only moment of desperation was in the middle of the 7th hour. I couldn't believe I had only been through half the flight! But, once that moment passed, I was in the 10th hour before I knew it. I read an entire book (yes, I cheated and bought 2 books... I couldn't resist!). The one I've finished is Night, by Ellie Wiesel. Amazing account of his experience with the Holocaust, winner of a Nobel Prize for literature. I recommend it! The book I still have waiting for me is Ken Follet's Whiteout. He's always a good author for a filght-read. Let's see.... I saw Ice Age 2, Eight Down Under, and parts of Seabiscuit. I really wanted to watch Take the Lead, but it kept cutting in and out. I slept a bit, making me pretty decently awake for the time it is here- 3:36am New York time, 4:36pm Tokyo time, and 5:36pm Seoul time.

It's raining here in Tokyo, which prevented me from being able to see anything while landing... Maybe it will clear up a bit by the time we take off (though, it doesn't look like there's much hope in that). My plane is sitting at the jetway, and hopefully my bags will get loaded onto it! I am praying they're not soaking wet... but what can I do? I'm still excited they met the weight restrictions!

I still have yet to find out who won the World Cup, and it's irking me! (as an aside- there are 2 kids having a pillow fight with their neck pillows - shaped like animals - in the middle of the gate waiting area. Looks like the pig beat the lion! The boy, about 3.5 years old, just caught me looking and made a silly face - of course I made one right back which made him burst out in a laughing scream).

Well, the flight begins to board here in about 5 minutes, so I'm going to get packed up. I still can't believe I'm in Japan, let alone going to be in Seoul for a year! Crazy!

No comments: