11.19.2006

Strep Throat in Korea

Yes, from the title of this post, you can all guess that I've been sick! It's been going around my office, since my managers won't let people leave and get the rest they need and deserve when they're sick! They're making people stay at work with contagious diseases, and it's now spread throughout the entire staff. So, when we're all tired, cranky, and hardly functioning, they only have themselves to blame! Such is Korea.

The healthcare system here is great, though. I just get about 2% of my pay deducted each month, and I'm covered for any normal thing that could happen to me. It cost $3 to go to the doctor, and I didn't even need an appointment. Being a foreigner is a bonus, too, because they know me after just one visit! The doctor was wonderful, and he speaks very good English. Though, no words were really necessary, as he only looked at my throat for half a second before backing away! Being allergic to pennicillin is a great thing here because I got put on wonderdrugs instead. My strep throat cleared up in 3 days, where everyone else took over a week to recover. I am really grateful for that!

Pharmacies are amazing, as well. They package everything into dose-sized pouches. So, I'm on 3 medications, but I don't take them all everytime I'm supposed to take medicine. So, the pharmacy puts all of my morning pills for one day in a pouch, the afternoon pills in a pouch, and the evening pills in a pouch - FOR EACH DAY! So, for 3 days worth of medicine, I had 9 labeled pouches. This is what service should be like for everyone - no more fumbling through bottles trying to read the small print and open the child-proof caps! They're tear-open pouches! Wonderful! I did have to get a prescription for tylenol... I guess they don't sell that over-the-counter here in Korea. I know they have some type of Korean acetominophen, but not name-brand Tylenol!

Anyway, I've spent the weekend recovering and resting in my apartment. It was beautiful weather outside, too... I went to the farmers market and for short walks around town just to get some fresh air (well, as fresh as Korea gets around here). I'm all better, now, ready for the new week ahead!

No comments: