9.03.2006

Nearly 2 km of stairs up a mountain


As the sticky season has just about ended, the mountain-hiking season has commenced. My first attempt to hike Inwansan a month ago was met with disaster. Poor air quality, high humidity, and intense sunlight caused me to abandon my quest before even reaching the halfway point. With burning lungs, I headed back down the stairs.

Saturday, I finally made it to the top. The humidity has gone, and the air quality was much better - I could see the whole city from the top of the mountain. The trek up the mountain: nearly 2 km of stairs! My butt was definitely worked! I actually made a pact with a friend to come hike the mountain every weekend - we are going to have the most toned glutes ever! Ha!


This picture is from a flat area after the first section of the ascent. If you look closely, you can see the path of stairs going up the mountain as it follows the telephone poles. The wall on the left is the reconstructed wall that once surrounded Seoul. Final destination: The tallest peak.


At this point, you can see part of Seoul through the trees. The views of the city are quite impressive as you get higher and higer up the mountain.


At some points, the stairs are as tall as my knees! The entire path in this section is lined with a rope.... just in case! I had to grab on several times when coming down.











At other times, the stairs aren't so defined... It's choose- your- own- footing time!












I'm on top of the world!








Views of Seoul from the top of the mountain

No comments: